Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is probably one of the most all round beauty products that you buy. Not only is it extremely versatile, it is cheap and a small pot can easily fit into your handbag for day and night-time touch-ups. Did you know that you can do all of the following with just a smear of Vaseline!
1. Lip balm. Vaseline acts as a very good moisturiser and helps to sooth chapped lips.
2. Lip gloss. As above. Vaseline will not only moisturise your lips but will make them shiny too.
3. It’s a good moisturiser for dry skin and works well on dry hands and feet
4. Apply Vaseline to your eyelashes to help condition and make them appear longer. Of course you can’t apply mascara after doing this so best done at night.
5. Use Vaseline as a body scrub by mixing it with sea salt.
6. Vaseline acts as an excellent barrier when you are dying your eyelashes at home and its barrier action prevents your skin from getting stained by the dye.
7. Exfoliate your lips by mixing Vaseline with a little sugar or sea salt and rub it on your lips. Wipe off and you will be left with smooth soft and kissable lips
8. Another way to exfoliate your lips with Vaseline is to apply a small amount to your lips and then rub with a toothbrush. I would suggest picking up a cheap toothbrush just for this purpose.
9. Moisturise and have attractive looking well-shaped eyebrows at the same time by applying a small amount of Vaseline on your eyebrows before going to bed.
10. If you have been suffering from a cold and your nose has been left dry and sore. Apply some Vaseline to help soothe and protect.
Interestingly Petroleum Jelly was first discovered in 1859 when a chemist went to investigate an oil well. What he found was a substance which was causing problems to the drilling rigs by sticking to them and causing them to seize up. However the chemist noticed that the workers were using this sticky residue and smearing it on their skin because of its effectiveness to heal burns and cuts. You can read more about the fascinating history of Vaseline here